Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Obama Disowns Wright

Today's big shocker:

"I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia, explaining that he has done enormous good in the church," he said. "But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS; when he suggests that Minister Farrakhan somehow represents one of the greatest voices of the 20th and 21st century; when he equates the U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism – then there are no excuses."

The problem of course is that none of this is new.

The amplification isn't new.

Even his comments about Wright calling it "political posturing" isn't new (from last summer in the NY Times):

“If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me,” Mr. Wright said with a shrug. “I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen.”

Which is exactly what appears to be happening now, just as Wright said yesterday, just as Wright and Obama apparently discussed as early as last summer:

MODERATOR: What is your motivation for characterizing Senator Obama’s response to you as, quote, “what a politician had to say”? What do you mean by that?

WRIGHT: What I mean is what several of my white friends and several of my white, Jewish friends have written me and said to me. They’ve said, “You’re a Christian. You understand forgiveness. We both know that, if Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected.”

Politicians say what they say and do what they do based on electability, based on sound bites, based on polls, Huffington, whoever’s doing the polls.

Obama should have dumped this guy long before it could be made to look, or even proven to be, a deliberate political move.

No comments: